Yekaterinburg is an administrative center of Sverdlovsk Oblast, the forth populous city of Russia, a big industrial center of the Urals. Yekaterinburg is the cultural, scientific, educational and business center of the Urals Federal District. The city is situated on the border of Europe and Asia, in the picturesque place rich in natural attractions!
The Dam is a cultural historical center of our beautiful city.This is the place where the major holidays and festivals take place. It’s a place of foundation of the city and a unique engineering construction using Ural larch, which in contact with water becomes the same solid as stone. Initially, The Dam, which was built as an important urban hydro technical construction, was launched a day, which is still considered as the founding date of the city of Ekaterinburg.
One of the main attractions of The Dam is a pink allagite, known as the "stone of love". According to the legend, if lovers touch the allagite, their love will be the same strong as stone! In some surviving factory premises now operate museums, giving insight into the industry, architecture, nature of the Urals, as well as which brings everyone to the world of fine art. The building of water tower waits its visitors in the museum, dedicating the mysteries of blacksmithing. Next to the water tower is placed a monument to the founders of city-Tatiŝev and de Genin (Ekaterinburg has 2 founders).On the Dame there is a monument to past and future of Ekaterinburg – time capsule – a message from communists of the 17th to the next generation of 2023.And in the evening strolling about the Dame, you can also enjoy views of the beautiful fountains.
Church on the Blood – is one of the largest temples of Ekaterinburg. Previously on this place was situated the memorable Ipatiev House, where in the tragic night of 17th July, 1918 Nicholas II and members of Royal family were secretly shot. In 1977 the ancient mansion was demolished. The church was built in 2000-2003, it has 5 domes, 14 bells and 2 levels. The upper temple symbolizes the perpetual lamp in memory of the tragic events; it’s a spacious room with plenty of sunshine. Inside is arranged the iconostasis, through which you can see the place of execution members of the Royal family. The firing room is located in the lower temple, which is executed in a restrained style. A museum, dedicated to the last days of the Romanovs, exists on the territory of the lower temple. The little chapel of St. Elizabeth is placed next to the Church on the Blood.
The Literary quarter is a unique place of the city and one of the main cultural attractions of Ekaterinburg. It’s a park which combines a complex of museums; it’s represented as a unique cultural center and a favorite resting place of citizens.Five literary museums of Ekaterinburg were gathered in one quarter. They are combined with beautifully cultivated square with antique lanterns, figured cast-iron grate, pavilions, walking paths. The open summer band shell decorates the park area. The building of the Chamber Theater is built here and the monument to Pushkin dedicates the entrance to The Literary quarter.
An open sightseeing platform Vysotsky is located on the 52nd floor at the height of 186 meters. The panorama extends 25 kilometers and captures not only the capital of Urals, but also the nearest towns-satellites – Berezovsky and Aramil. As well as especially for connoisseurs of art in Vysotsky business center was organized the Vladimir Vysotsky Museum.
The Imperial Bridge. Emperor Alexander I visited Ekaterinburgin 1824. In honor of the August guest, the avenue, which is known as the street of Decembrists, was named Aleksandrovsky Avenue. To the arrival of the Emperor new wooden bridge was built on the Avenue.Anecdotally, the Emperor during his visit to the city has gone across this bridge, according to the other sources — hasn’t, but since the bridge has been known as The Imperial Bridge. The present stone bridge was built on the site of the wooden in 1889-1890 upon the project of the architect Kozlov. It’s a massive construction made of a rubble stone, which is composed of three flat arch crowns, based on low stone breakers. Arch rings emphasize the horizontal orientation of the buildings. Bridge casings are represented by wrought gratings between the thumbs, which are decorated with lanterns.
The Historical Square is the main square of the city. Its history began in the early years of development of the city; it was a trade centre and in this regard it was called the Trade square. Throughout its history, it changed its name several times – it was also called as the Church, Main or Cathedral Square. The main element of the square is the City Hall, built on the place of usual guest house in 1954. It was built with the aid of German prisoners of war. The external decoration of the building is unusually beautiful. The Administration is decorated with a tower with a spire, a ruby star and chimes, established in 1954.The clock (3.5 meters in diameter) loudly counts every quarter of an hour. Arrows have 1.6 and 1.9 meters in length. Next to the entrance to the Administration there are columns, between which is arranged a two-storey arch. Soldier and miner are figured near the arch. Wall is decorated with panels depicting Spassky Tower and fireworks. On New Year’s Eve Christmas tree is being set and an ice town with slides and a large number of sculptures is being constructed on the square.
Vainer Street is one of the oldest streets of our city. It was founded in 1735 and named in honor of the revolutionary Leonid Isaacovich Vainer, who led the revolutionary work in Perm and Yekaterinburg. The citizens proudly call the street “The Ural Arbat”. Here it’s possible to find a wide variety of cafes, boutiques, shops, fountain "a time machine", as well as you could see unusual bronze sculptures of a banker, an inventor of the first bike, a chapman, lovers, Michael Jackson, etc.
Sevastyanov House is a mansion-pearl previously owned by Ural entrepreneur Nikolay Ivanovich Sevastyanov. An unusual two-storeyed building with a round domical at tic attracts attention of passers; it’s an exclusive monument of Gothic-Moorish architecture over the whole territory of the Urals. During excursions you’ll be able to hear many legends associated with Sevastyanov.
Korobkov House is exposed by two ancient two-storeyed houses, before the revolution known as Korobkovski named after their first masters. Before the revolution the right house was a notary of Alexander Ardashev — Lenin's maternal cousin. Probably this fact, rather than architectural dignity (houses were built in 1820 by the project of Malakhov), saved the house from demolition in 1980 during the further reconstruction of the square. Initially, houses were "twins" but as a result of the reconstruction in 1880 the left house gained delicate decorations on the façade and towers.
Zheleznov Homestead is another monument of cultural heritage of Yekaterinburg, the architectural ensemble made in Russian Revival style, built in 1892-1895.Zheleznovhouse,built of red brick, resembles an ancient palace; the composition of the homestead includes the main house and outbuilding, represented with a spacious courtyard, surrounded by a fence with wide entrance gate. Formerly luxurious vintage garden became very overgrown, and marble fountain hasn’t been working for a long time. Original turret located on entering to the homestead looks particularly unusual, it’s finishing resembles a carved wooden decorations used in the old Russian palaces, only all decorative elements are made of red brick.
Kharitonov-Rastorguev mansion is an example of classical Russian mansion of 19th century. Initially the mansion belonged to famous manufacturer and gold entrepreneur Lev Ivanovich Rastorguev. An extensive park, founded in 1826adjoins to the mansion. The park has a factitious lake with an artificial island and a round pelisse. Old tunnels, one of which was found after a landfall in 1924, pass under the park. According to legends, old believer Rastorguev, fearing persecutions, paved secret passages from his house through the park under Annunciation Hill to the city pond. According to other legends, these passages pose vestiges of the secret chambers where Rastorguevmined gold.
It is not excluded that the territory of the mansion was connected with basements of Annunciation Church by the way of the underground gallery, although this connection could be identified with underground constructions of "Command Country house."From the cellars of the Rastorguev-Haritonov House the passages were distributed in underground space of the park. The eastern part of the house, facing the park, connected with a pelisse. From the pelisse galleries spread in two directions: to the lake and garden cellar, located in the south-east corner of the Park. The main passage head from the cellar of cartwright, passed around the pond on the west side and emerged to the north-east corner, near the private urban building.
Black tulip is a memorial to the victims of the Afghan war which was opened in Yekaterinburg in 1995.The monument was built by the project of architect Alexander Serov and sculptor Constantine Grunberg. The war in Afghanistan lasted 10 years, from 1979 to 1989 years. One metal pylon on the edges of the memorial corresponds to each year. All together they imitate the frame of fuselage of the aircraft AN-12 carrying the bodies of dead soldiers. The Afghans called these planes as “black tulips”. There are 240 names of citizens of Sverdlovsk, died during warfare in Afghanistan.
Keyboard monument is one of the most unusual monuments of our city. If you want to make a devout desire, you need to come here! Jump on the keys, typing your desire, then hit two legs to «Enter» — and desire will come true. If you want to start a new life, jump on the keys «Ctrl», «Alt», «Delete».
Ganina Yama is a monastery in the name of Saint Regal Martyrs. In 2000 remains of the Royal family were buried, and the Royal Martyrs were canonized. Construction of the monastery of Saint Regal Martyrs, which is considered as foundation of the temple complex has been started after these events. Today on the site of Ganina Yama 7 magnificent temples are erected in honor of the great Saints specially venerated by members of family of the last Russian Emperor.
The Pearl of the monastery is cross-reliquary with relics of many great saints and one of thousands particles of the tree of the Holy Cross. Thousands of believers come every year in order to see and venerate the great shrine.
No less interesting is the Church of St. Seraphim, situated on the territory of Ganina Yama. Parishioners and priests of the temple continually celebrated myrrh-stream of the icon of Saint Seraphim.
Icon of St. Nicholas became famous all over Russia after the miraculous healing from cancer. Many believers come to Ganina Yama, to venerate the icon.
As well as on the territory of the temple complex is disposed the open mine, where the remains of Martyrs were dropped. Priests of the temples every day evening commit penitential procession around this place.
The border between Europe and Asia. The border between two parts of the world, Europe and Asia, passes not far from Yekaterinburg. Yekaterinburg is located entirely in Asia, although the border with Europe is on hand. On the territory of Sverdlovsk region there are several obelisks of Europe and Asia. The closest is situated on Novomoskovsk tract, on 17 kilometer. This is marble pedestal with a small viewing platform, where you can find a metal sculpture of 2 letters – A-Asia and E-Europe.
The furthest obelisk is placed under Pervouralsk. It was erected in 2008 instead of slight monument with cast-iron fence. Now stele is looks like a 30-metre granite post, top of which is crowned by a double-headed eagle.
On the border between Europe and Asia by tradition you can make a wish, standing with one foot in Asia, the other in Europe.